Hitting the road for the Mascoutin Vintage Roadshow


A VIEW FROM the balcony shows all the merchandise for sale at Saving Grace Salvage Co., which is located in a former Berlin Catholic church. Ariana Hones photo

by Ariana Hones

At least twice a year, in the fall and spring, local vintage and salvage stores comes together to promote the exciting world of well-used and well-loved goods.

The Mascoutin Vintage Roadshow took place May 18 and 19 and incorporated the goods of four antique stores, one coffee shop and a local winery. It allowed attendees to travel between Ripon, Green Lake and Berlin.

Participants who came into each shop were given a punch card that they could take with them on their roadshow adventure and leave at their last stop to be entered in for prizes.

Most items found in the stores on this roadshow came from estate and rummage sales, friends and family, and private buyers.

At Dig Garden Store and More, owner Yvonne Baumgartner sells items that she thinks would be interesting in garden spaces, such as a vintage gate for vines to grow on or her personal favorite — a cast iron urn that potted plants can go in.

At Back Porch Gatherings, owner Tammy Gutierrez describes her products as 95 percent vintage with the other 5 percent being the candles and plants it sells.

Asked why vintage, Gutierrez replied, “It is made well and it has a history.”

She gave the example of the leaded-glass windows that are being sold as an item that is no longer being produced, but can enliven a space with rich history.

With vintage items, sometimes fine tuning is needed; Back Porch Gatherings will apply fresh paint or fix up pieces that need repair.

Gutierrez also discussed how it was important for her to arrange the store in a way that would spark the imagination of her customers. She organizes the store in “vignettes” based on rooms in a house so that customers can easily picture the items in their own homes.

A Well Feathered Nest in Green Lake just had its grand re-opening and is owned by Holly Walker. Like the other vintage stores on the roadshow it offers beautifully arranged items that offer history and character to any home.

Saving Grace Salvage Co. in Berlin is a co-op directed by Brad Roost and his, wife, Nicole. Located in a Catholic church turned home for the vintage enthusiast, the building is filled from basement to choir balcony with vintage and salvaged items.

This space also is decorated by room theme and offers pieces from each member of the co-op.

Sassafras Coffee in Green Lake offered an inviting place to fuel up for the day’s adventure and Vines and Rushes served as a delicious end as it offered complimentary wine and beer tasting, wood-fired pizzas and tunes from local artists.

For those who missed the roadshow this time around don’t fret. It will be back this fall.

So the next time you are looking to spruce up your home with new furniture or bring a house-warming gift, head over to some of these stores that offer both unique treasures, a more sustainable way to consume and the friendly faces of your neighbors.

Share